Saturday, April 01, 2006

Perfect House for a Cartoon Character


My first though was to place him in one a "Save TheChildren" donation box. You can see these in Scarbourough, ususally in pairs or threes. Cute idea, but then the interior isn't going to work unless I distort the space - or ignor it.


Alternately there is the industrial building idea. I like the railway contol tower, but in practical terms it will be a time consuming
pain to draw over and over again. It will also dictate that their home is some place near train tracks, because for the story I don't want to part from reality that much. There fore the tiny factory building works best for me. The next step is to design and model the interior, then map the neighbourhood.




I was most impressed when I went to see Seth's exhibition in Guelph the the thoroughness of the back story he created. The central piece of the exhibit was a scale model of the city it was set in. Each building had a history. One of his notebooks was open to a page with the history of the train station, which was based on Toronto's Union Station.

No comments: